Numerous physical processes and chemical reactions are influenced by the surrounding gas pressure. In practise it is therefore often necessary to conduct DSC measurements under an increased pressure.
With the high-pressure Differential Scanning Calorimeter, DSC 204 HP Phoenix®, thermal effects in a sample can be analyzed in the pressure range from vacuum to 15 MPa (150 bar) and at temperatures from -150°C to 600°C, depending on the type of gas.
The sample chamber atmosphere can be static or dynamic. The electronic pressure monitor and control, along with exact regulation of the purge gas flow, provide for excellent accuracy and reproducibility of the measurement results.
The proven CC 200 L for liquid nitrogen cooling is available for the low-temperature range.
The safety of the high-pressure DSC system has been certified through design tests and is guaranteed during operation by the appropriate safety components.
- Wide pressure range:
vacuu to 15 MPa (approx. 2140 psi)
- Exact pressure adjustment
(e.g. 10 MPa ± 0.002 MPa)
- Heating rates:
0.01 K/min to 100 K/min
- Temperature range
(depending on the gas type):
- -150°C to 600°C (at 1 bar)
- -90°C to 600°C (at 50 bar)
- -50°C to 450°C (at 150 bar)
- Measurements in different atmospheres:
- inert: N2, noble gases
- reducing: H2
- oxidizing: O2, CO2, air
- Exact gas flow regulation
up to 500 ml/min
The DSC 204 HP Phoenix® runs under Proteus® Software on Windows®. The Proteus® Software includes everything you need to carry out a measurement and evaluate the resulting data. Through the combination of easy-to-understand menus and automated routines, a tool has been created that is extremely user-friendly and, at the same time, allows sophisticated analysis. The Proteus® Software is licensed with the instrument and can of course be installed on other computer systems.
- Determination of onset, peak, inflection and end temperatures
- Automatic peak search
- Transformation enthalpies: analysis of peak areas (enthalpies) with selectable baseline and partial peak area analysis
- Evaluation of crystallization
- Comprehensive glass transition analysis
- Automatic baseline correction
- Specific heat determination
- Recording and evaluation of the pressure signal
You can use the following software with this product:
High-Pressure DSC for the most varied applications:
- Determination of vapor pressure and evaporation heat (ASTM E1782)
- Separation of reactions with overlapped evaporation
- Measurement of adsorption and desorption, e.g. on metallic compounds
- Oxidation stability of oils, fats and lubricants (ASTM E1858, ASTM D6186, ASTM E2009, ASTM D5483)
- Curing of thermosets, e.g. phenolic resin
- Vulcanization of rubbers
- Hydration of unsaturated fatty acids
DSC measurements under ambient pressure can, of course, also be conducted with the DSC 204 HP Phoenix®.
The DSC 204 HP Phoenix® can either be equipped with only an electronic pressure regulator for static pressure or additionally with an electronic flow controller for work under dynamic gas atmospheres. The digital display for pressure and flow rate guarantee control independent of the computer. Pressure reducers and fittings with different adapters for the various gases are available.
A vacuum pump serves both for evacuation of the autoclave, followed by backfilling with a defined gas, and for measurements in static vacuum.
The CC 200 L is used for work at sub-ambient temperature for controlled cooling with liquid nitrogen.Open aluminum crucibles (pans) or crucibles (pans) with punched lids are used for most applications.A special temperature and enthalpy calibration kit is available for the high-pressure DSC.